Registration opens at 9:30am on race day and closes 15 minutes before the relevant event start time.
The Red Kite Challenge headquaters are located at the Woodlands Caravan Park on the edge of Devil’s Bridge, three miles from Ponterwyd on the A44 which is itself 12 miles inland from Aberystwyth. For SATNAV users the postcode is: SY23 3JW.
Race scheduling is as follows (it is recommended entrants register at the latest 30 minutes before their event start):
- 10:30 Start of the Primary School Fun Run
- 11:00 Start of walk along 10km / half marathon route
- 11:15 Start of U13 race (about 3k)
- 11:15 Start of U15 race (about 5k)
- 11:15 Start of U17 race (about 6k)
- 11:15 Start of U20 female race (about 6k)
- 13:00 Start of run along 10km route to include U20 male race
- 13:00 Start of run along half marathon route
These will follow the running route. Those doing the 10km will break off part way (as the 10km runners will do) while those doing the half marathon walk will continue along the full loop.
10KM TRAIL RACE
This is a recent addition in response to feedback from the running community. We wanted to provide the shorter option for people relatively new to running or new to running off road who wanted to make the step to 10k before doing the half marathon. This event, which follows much of the half marathon route, proved very successful.
HALF MARATHON RACE
This is a testing 13.1 miles starting at the caravan site meandering its way up to the Arch. On the way you will negotiate several steep hills in the forest and plenty of ups and downs on forest roads, tracks and trails. After visiting the highest point near the Cefn Croes windfarm you will work your way down to the famous Arch. From there you will climb to the viewpoint before a predominantly downward section back to Devil’s Bridge. Be warned – near the end there are some stiff ‘ups’ to test tired legs.
- We are honoured to have been given the responsibility to hold the Welsh Championships and West Wales Championships for the senior half marathon and all junior age groups
- The half marathon is a trial for the Celtic Challenge, while the under 17s race is also a trial for the WMRA International Youth Cup
- All courses are well marshalled and sign posted
- On site there is a cafe serving hot and cold food and drinks which will be open for supporters and athletes to use. There is also adequate parking on site and at the Hafod Hotel car park which is a 2 minutes’ walk from the start. Showers and changing are available on site but a small charge will be levied for the use of the those facilities. We will be providing all the usual refreshments including Anne Bunton’s Bara Brith
- A full copy of the races’ terms and conditions can be found here: Red Kite Challenge T&C 2018
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact the race organiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.